Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gospel Encounters in the Office

I traveled last week all the way to NYC on a mission trip with some of our college students. Yesterday, as I came into the office a little later in the day to finish sorting through everything from the trip, a young man on the phone wanted to talk to a minister. I was the only one here, so I agreed to meet with him. He biked over to the church and came into my office to share his story of searching for something more in life. He has struggled with substance abuse for many years, and recently chose to make a decision to be sober. As good as that decision has been for him, it hasn't been easy. He was still searching for something more, something beyond just sobriety. Through AA he was wrestling with spirituality and came to the realization that he needed to commit his life to Christ. I listened, shared a few things, then had the opportunity to lead him to Jesus as we talked about sin, grace, God's love, and the redemption offered to us in Jesus. I was totally blown away by God! I came into the office yesterday thinking I had a few things I needed to get done, yet God reminded me that my agenda is not as important as the gospel coming to fruition in a person's life!

Later yesterday afternoon, I had a college student seeking advice and counsel about a few areas of life. I was reminded of truly how difficult the Christ life is for college students. So much garbage is around that they deal with, so many complex situations and relationships. Yet in the midst of that, there are many who are truly seeking to live a life that is centered around the gospel so that their entire lives become "living sacrifice's" that Paul talks about in Romans.

So thankful for getting to catch a glimpse of God's work yesterday!


No comments: