Saturday, April 12, 2008

Once Upon a Time...

Twelve years ago tonight I asked a beautiful 17 year old high school senior to marry me. A bold move for sure, since we hadn't been dating yet. I still remember the scene: sitting across from one another on the dock at my parents lake house on Clark Hill. I remember the emotions, the energy, the fact that Brian was ticked that we walked down to the lake by ourselves. The late nights spent talking that week of Spring Break. Both of us naive to what the world had in store for us and how are relationship would grow and unfold. In one sense, I can't believe it has already been twelve years since Cyd and I first became a couple, yet strangely it's hard to remember what life was like before her. I guess that happens when you have spent more than a third of your years with the person you most love. We never went through periods of on-again/off-again like some of our friends. We never even broke up. We knew that God had brought us together and that was the bedrock of our commitment to each other. I was talking to a friend today who recently lost her mother, she said that her parents had been married for 68 years. I can only hope and pray that Cyd and I are blessed with that many years together. Sometimes, it's funny to think about the way God has shaped and molded us over the last twelve years, individually and as a couple. God has used circumstances of all kinds to make us more like Christ.

I guess the hardest part of meeting your spouse and knowing it when you are 17 is that if you are a youth minister like me it makes for interesting discussion about dating and relationships!

5 comments:

Katelyn said...

Are you serious? 17? is that symbolic or for real??

Anonymous said...

That's for real.

Katelyn said...

Did you get married soon there after?

Anonymous said...

No it was 4 years later. We were both 21.

Katelyn said...

You aren't being very anonymous when you say "we" ;)