Monday, January 21, 2008

MLK Day

Today millions of Americans celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's my humble estimation that few Americans of the 2nd half of the 20th century did more to change the world than this man. A natural-born leader, King's dream for equality became a realization that changed America and the world. I am amazed at the amount of injustice and racism still prevalent in our country. I must confess, at times I find the demon of racism within my own heart. I'm not sure if anyone can ever be totally, 100 percent free of racism because of the fallen world in which we live, but I don't want that to be a reason to let it go unchecked in my life or my world. My views on race changed drastically during my days at Mercer University. Dr. Sarah Gardner taught me more than she could ever realize about the sins of racism and the ugliness on our nations conscience, to her I say thanks. An old Bob Marley tshirt I have says "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes, there is war."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

bonnie1My high school graduating class was the first to be integrated at Savannah High. I remember there were anxious feelings toward Dr. King and his work. Looking back on that bit of history, I wonder what kind of world we would be living in if Dr. King had not lived or if he had not been the leader he was.