Thursday, January 17, 2008

Last Night On Earth Again

This is the title of a song by Over the Rhine that I just can't get out of my head. Some of the lyrics are hauntingly true and quite humorous all at once. The first line of the song goes like this, "Down south where Elvis is king and Jesus is Lord." Doesn't that capture the tension of pop culture and faith, especially in the south. So many of us equate something else in our life with our relationship with Christ, not intentionally, but with how we spend our time and resources. When I lived in Alabama I realized that some states like football, but there it's deeper and wider than the blood (at least it seems that way sometimes). When you first move there people want to know which team you are going to pull for Auburn or Alabama, even though you are from Georgia and are a Dawg all the way through. I kid you not, two separate job interviews included the question of my allegiance to the Crimson Tide or the War Eagle. Football is covered not just for 5 months, but 365 days a year the news touches on something with Alabama and Auburn football. So I guess the age old question is, "Are our allegiances to college football teams the same as our commitment to Christ?"

No comments: