Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Another Year Wiser


Papa Larry holding Claire in the hospital (right).

Graduation Day at Beeson Divinity School!
My Dad and I have always had a unique relationship. Part of that has been dictated by my parents relationship, but the thing I have learned in recent years is how important my Dad has been in my life over my 28 short years. Dad turned 60 on Sunday. As we talked on the phone, I asked him, "Do you feel older?" He replied, "No, not really. Life is good. Sometimes are hard, sad, and depressing at times, but ultimately life is good." The truth is, my Dad's 60th birthday made ME feel older. It made me realize how precious life is and how short it can be and often is.
In many ways, my Dad is a hero. I look up to him as an encourager and a supporter throughout my life. I think an important thing about heroes, is what you learn from their successes and their mistakes. I use to think that a hero is only someone you admired for their triumphs and conquests...I dare say I have learned as much from my Dad's mistakes and talked about those over the last few years. God's grace has been constantly at work in my Dad's life and in any one's life to redeem our faults and failures and use them for HIS glory. We don't get to see each other often because of our respective schedules and vocations, but my Dad has always been very influential in shaping me and my life.



No comments: