Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Communion


I preached and led in communion for the first time in a full church service this Sunday. I have served communion to students many, many times, as well as in the contemporary service at FBC. I have even helped deacons distribute the elements in church services and at nursing homes, but Sunday was historic for me. As I prepared what to say, I continually thought about the first time Martin Luther celebrated Mass as an ordained priest. According to the story, Luther was so nervous that he trembled so much the wine in the goblet spilled out all over the floor. Thankfully we don't use goblets and that didn't happen Sunday. It was a wonderful time for me, to get to gather around the Lord's Table to celebrate together. As I was preparing last week, I reread Henri Nouwen's book Can You Drink The Cup?. It is a wonderful book that asks the question that Jesus posed to James and John when they wanted to know if they could sit at Jesus' right hand. In his characteristic style Nouwen weaves the gospel with life to make one see with fresh eyes the way of the Savior. This quote stuck out in my mind, "We need to remind each other that the cup of joy, that precisely what causes us sadness can become the fertile ground for gladness." So often we forget this truth, but the cross is a living reminder of the source of our sadness, the death of our Lord and Savior becoming the source of gladness as we experience new life and walk with him daily. Perhaps as you approach Holy Week you can be encouraged that the difficulty you are going through will eventually turn to praise to God.

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

Yey pictures! You even got some accolades from my grandparents Sunday!