Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Seeing things for the First Time

I am a huge fan of The Black Crowes! I would argue that they are one of the greatest rock bands of the last 2 decades. There mix of gritty rock,laid-back blues, and southern sound are magical. They have a song that says, "Seeing things for the first time, in my life..." Don't you have moments like that when it feels as if you are seeing things for the first time, even though you probably have looked at it several times. I do that a lot with scripture. I will read a passage that I have read dozens of times and then all of a sudden something clicks, something connects with me that didn't before and it is as if I am seeing things for the first time. I think our faith is full of moments that are like that perhaps because it is through our faith that we view everything else. I'm not talking about rose-colored spectacles to put on when the world is dark and gloomy! I'm talking about looking at people around us, situations we encounter, and the world at large through the lens of the cross. Everything we see, do, and experience is because of our faith. Our belief in God shapes everything about our lives not just Sunday mornings. C.S. Lewis wrote, "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" (The Weight of Glory p.140). Do we agree with Lewis? Is our relationship with the Living God something we set to the side or is it the very foundation of our lives?

No comments: