Thursday, March 26, 2009

What Does the Cross mean to You?

I actually scribbled this down in one of my notebooks a few weeks ago as I was preparing to preach on the sayings of Christ from the cross and leading the Lord's Supper service this coming Sunday, but it has been a little crazy so I haven't had a chance to get it posted till now.

I read something today that asked the question "What comes to your mind when you hear the word cross?" I immediately thought of several song lyrics. "Girl with crimson nails, Jesus round her neck" (U2). "It's not my cross to bear" (Allman Brothers). "Yeah, you cross yourself those three times and step into this skin" (Bill Mallonee). "The Southern Cross" (Crosby, Stills, and Nash).

What does the cross really mean to me? Is it a theological explanation for a major world religion? Is it a piece of jewelry? Is it a metaphor for a burden or a difficult task? Is it a sign of blessing and peace? Is it an empty piece of wood that bore the mangled body of the savior? For me the cross is that symbol that reminds me of the love of God. It is the length to which a loving God went to redeem a stubborn, rebellious sinner like me. The cross has the power to humble me when I become prideful, cheer me when I become downcast, and boost my hope that God's love is bigger than my sin.

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

I think your blog needs more pictures. add some visual interest

josh said...

What I think of:
o "she wears a cross around her neck..." and following from the Black Crowes
o salsa
o the hymn "old rugged cross"
o the words "submission", "love", "death", "suffering", and "we win" (or, rather, "He wins").

Tony Pagliarullo said...

Good thoughts Josh. Man we need to get together soon. Thanks for the input Katelyn.