Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Last Night On Earth Again part 3

"I told Jesus he could have my heart/ He said, What kinda shape's it in?/ Help me, it's our last night on earth again."

Like I said before, I can't seem to get away from this song...The lyrics own my heart right now. This selection seems to me to characterize the way so many churches and so many Christians look at people who are broken and struggling with life. Maybe not intentionally, but the message that so often is communicated to people outside of the church is that they have to have their act together and their lives straightened out before we will allow them to come to Jesus. The reality of the gospel is that Christ loved us while we were still screwed up and messed up beyond all recognition of what God intended. No matter what the shape of our heart, Jesus offers us hope even when other Christians and segments of the church mistakenly think they have a monopoly on grace.

No comments: