Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Georgia Day

Today is February 12, Georgia Day. Today marks the founding of Georgia by General James Edward Oglethorpe in 1733. Although many folks who live in Georgia are aware of this significance, I think it's important to remember our heritage and history. Savannah has the biggest celebration since it was the first settlement of Georgia. I remember as a kid anticipating the year I would get to march in the Georgia Day parade in Savannah. As a 5th grader we would dress in colonial garb or native american attire to march through the squares of Savannah. The squares are of course unique in that Oglethorpe was the one who mapped out the idea for the city to be built around squares, to promote more community among the settlers. In honor of Georgia Day, I recently read a biography of Olgethorpe that was fascinating. He was an interesting fellow. He had a significant and lasting impact on Savannah and Georgia. Happy 275 Birthday!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Did we all do this? March in the parade I mean? I have no recollection of that, how funny!