Friday, August 17, 2007

Dad, Bruce, and the Resurrection

I remember as a kid listening to Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A album with my dad. I thought that it was cool that he listened to popular music. We connected through those moments riding around in the car listening to the Boss sing about life, working, good times, friends, and love in his signature voice. The funny thing is I didn't realize how much my Dad and I connected in this way until years later. I have been listening to Springsteen's Greatest Hits CD lately, and one of the lines from the song has stuck in my mind. "Well now everything dies baby that's a fact/ But maybe everything that dies someday comes back" from Atlantic City. I guess Bruce is more right than he realizes. As believers in Christ we know that everything has an appointed time or season, but we also cling to the hope of the resurrection of Christ that promises new life and the chance to come back. I know that because of Jesus' coming back on the third day that I have the promise of life eternal. My life, my body will one day die, but it will come back through the promise of the resurrection and the hope of life forever with God. Thanks Dad for turning me on to the Boss all those years ago.

1 comment:

larry said...

It is the sure hope of eternal life in Boss of Bosses, King of Kings presence that fuels my days. That He could resurrect someone so worthless and "dead in his sin" as me is irrefutable proof of His existence and His power. It has been said that life is but experience. That may be true; however, those experiences are worthless unless they point you to the Lord. The abundant life is tasted only in pursuit of the truth. That Bruce recognized that this world is not our home suggests he too was searching for the Truth. At the very least, his words have given us motivation to consider where we will spend eternity--thanks Bruce!

Our separate callings leave scant time together making memories such as this one all the more precious.

I Love You!
dad