Wednesday, August 1, 2007

America's Favorite Animated Family

I have a confession to make, I am a huge Simpsons fan. With all the hype surrounding the shows jump to the big screen I must admit I had my doubts as to the success and laugh factor for the movie. I finally saw the movie yesterday, and in a word "funny." Let me share a few thoughts about the experience. First, The Simpsons is not a show or movie for young children, even though it is animated. Over half of the theater was filled with children ages 4-12. As much as I like The Simpsons I don't think that it is intended for that type of audience. Here is why...at the core of the show is a commitment to provide social, political, and religious commentary for American culture. In one sense nothing is sacred, because the show makes fun of everything and everybody including a jab at the theater audience for paying money to watch something you can see on TV for free. In the past the show has ruthlessly mocked Rupert Murdoch (media mogul buying the Wall Street Journal), and he is the big cheese for Fox the station that produces the show. Yesterday I found myself laughing not at the goofy animation scenes but at the cultural commentary. The Simpsons offers what I believe is the dominant view of America on the different issues facing our country. The writers have a way of making you look at things from a different perspective. Now, sometimes this is good and I agree with them and other times I don't.

One last thought, towards the beginning of the movie Homer and the rest of the town are in church. A scene happens and Homer quickly leafs through the Bible and says "Oh, there aren't any answers in here." That statement reflects so many people's views of the Bible and Christianity. For me that scene isn't a mockery of my faith, rather it is a challenge to boldly proclaim the only source of truth and answers, Jesus Christ, to a world in desperate need of God.

So you can either laugh at the corny jokes, or you can allow the messages in this film or any other to spur you on to make a difference for the Kingdom by consistently living out your faith.

Oikily-Doikily!

No comments: