Friday, August 31, 2007

Cole Trickle and the Voice of God

While we were on vacation we didn't have cable TV, Internet, or a phone. It was wonderful in one sense. So Cyd packed some movies for us in case we got really bored or one of those afternoon thunderstorms popped up. One that she packed was Days of Thunder. You are probably familiar with this Tom Cruise look at the sport of Nascar. This is one of those movies that just gets your adrenaline pumping. One afternoon Cyd and Claire were asleep so I decided to watch the movie. As I was watching a scene caught my attention in a new way. Isn't it funny how music and movies can do that sometimes. The scene is right after Cole Trickle crashes his car at Daytona and he is in the hospital being treated. As they are doing all kinds of tests to him including CT scans, he shouts out of frustration of not being able to see and not knowing what's going on around him. He says "When I'm driving I got a guy on the radio that talks to me. I can't see him but he talks to me." It struck me that the same could be said about God. We can't see God, but He still talks to us through the Bible, other Christians, His creation, and prayer. Isn't it comforting to know that even though we can't see God, He is right in the midst of our daily lives.

No comments: