Sunday, August 5, 2007

Celtic Spirituality and My Journey

I just finished a new book by my preaching professor in seminary, Calvin Miller. The Celtic Path of Prayer, is a great introduction to the richness of Celtic faith for our postmodern world. Miller deals with different types of prayers employed by the Celts, think St. Patrick and other early Christians in Ireland. He also draws on his own experience in recent years of employing these different types of prayers in his own devotional life. I enjoyed this book for two reasons: 1) Miller writes like he is having a conversation with him and 2) it made me even more proud of my Irish heritage. I know what your thinking, "Aren't you Italian?" Yes, but my grandmother is strongly Scot-Irish. Really though the heritage that I am most proud of is the presence and influence of the church, the body of Christ, throughout the centuries. It is because of the faithfulness of generations of believers before me that I was able to hear the gospel nearly 15 years ago. For those who I won't know or see until I leave this world, thank you.

No comments: