Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Prodigal God

I was first introduced to Tim Keller by my RUF (Reformed University Fellowship) campus minister, Paul Bankson while a student at Mercer University.  Paul often referenced some nugget of truth he had extracted from Keller's sermons he listened to on tape, yes I am that old...before podcasts and cd's of sermons there were tapes. In college I read one of Keller's books that talks specifically about service to the "least of these" but I hadn't read any of his recent books until I picked up Prodigal God at a bookstore going out of business. It was a great reminder of the depth of my sin and the lavishness of God's love and grace and mercy!

If the preaching of our ministers and the practice of our parishioners do not have the same effect on people that Jesus had, then we must not be declaring the same message that Jesus did (18-19).

2 comments:

Allison Stroud said...

I love me some Timmy K! Especially b/c he's a Gordon-Conwell grad ;) Have you read Counterfeit Gods? Another gem of a book!

Tony Pagliarullo said...

No I haven't yet, but I plan on reading the rest of his catalog soon.