Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Gospel According to Dylan

I recently finished The Gospel According to Bob Dylan by Michael Gilmour. When I saw the title on Amazon.com I couldn't wait to dive into it. I got introduced to Dylan in college through friends and a couple of history classes. To say that I love the man's music is an understatement. Part of what I believe so many people find intriguing about Dylan is ability to speak prophetical about a myriad of issues, yet when pressed about the inner life of Bob Dylan one can only connect bits and pieces together through the lyrics, the interviews, and the volumes of articles, books, and blogs written about the man and the music.



Gilmour opens the book by saying that just as when a person listens to music the meaning and interpretation become so subjective that we can't determine the cold hard facts for the artist himself. Thus the book is more about his own pilgrimage with Dylan and how he has seen religion in different shapes through the music and the man. I was hoping for something just the opposite, but for a "Bobhead" this would be an enjoyable look at some of the less critically acclaimed periods of his immense catalogue of music.

No comments: