Friday, September 23, 2011

Feeling Gravity's Pull :: A Personal Tribute to R.E.M. :: Paste mPlayer

R.E.M. embodied so many things that this article acurrately points out. They were the soundtrack to many people's lives of my generation. They were the door you walked through to discover other bands who reinvented Southern Rock such as Drivin' and Cryin', Widespread Panic, Vigilantes of Love, The Indigo Girls, and others. The lyrics were provocative and mysterious at the same time, if you could understand just exactly what Stipe was singing at different times. (Look no further than Tommy Boy where Chris Farley and David Spade mumble a verse of the song along with the band.) The brought so many incredible new sounds to modern rock. I still remember playing my first cassette tape of theirs (Green) in my grandparents hallway and dancing while I sang...good thing there wasn't a video camera around!
Feeling Gravity's Pull :: A Personal Tribute to R.E.M. :: Paste mPlayer

No comments: