Friday, May 15, 2009

Magnificent


Can I just say that the recent U2 release is AMAZING! I can't stop listening to it. I used one of the songs for our Bible study time at The Gathering the other night. I don't usually post what I preach and teach about to this blog but I thought it might be worth sharing, if nothing else to reflect on pop culture and the way that we see glimpses of God's truth everywhere we look, if we open our eyes and ears.

Magnificent Lyrics and Music by U2

Magnificent
Magnificent



I was born
I was born to be with you

In this space and time

After that and ever after I haven't had a clue

Only to break rhyme
This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue



Only love, only love can leave such a mark

But only love, only love can heal such a scar


I was born
I was born to sing for you

I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice
From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise ...

Only love, only love can leave such a mark

But only love, only love can heal such a scar


Justified till we die, you and I will magnify

The Magnificent

Magnificent


Only love, only love can leave such a mark

But only love, only love unites our hearts



Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent

Magnificent
Magnificent

Below are my notes and thoughts that I used to teach from. They are not complete nor spell checked but perhaps it will stimulate some thoughts for you.

Magnificent
By U2

Listen to song.

Ask for initial reactions to the song, the content, etc.

I was born, I was born to be with you
Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue
James 1:13-15
13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Foolishness of sin, sin is fun for a season then it creates such havoc with our lives.

Only love can leave such a mark, only love can heal such a scar
1 Peter 2:24-25
24He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. 25For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
Christ’s love for you and me takes the scars left from our sin and brings comfort and healing as only Christ can.
God isn’t distant and unconcerned with our lives and the pain that we have endured. No he longs to wrap us in his arms and bring healing and tenderness and wholeness to our fragile lives.

I was born to sing for you/ I didn’t have a choice but to lift you up/and sing whatever song you wanted me to
Psalm 40

1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

We were born and created for intimacy and relationship with God our creator. We have been given a song to sing when we’ve been recreated by God saving us and becoming a Christian.

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify, The Magnificent

This statement sums up our purpose and identity in life. A group of Presbyterian believers a couple of centuries ago created a confessional document, a paper, that stated what they believed. They did it by asking questions so that it was easier to teach and learn. The first question of the catechism is “What is the chief end of man?”
“Man’s chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.”

1 Cor. 10:31
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.



Rev. 4:11
"You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being."

Psalm 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.

Our greatest purpose, our greatest calling is to live our lives for God’s glory.
We are to reflect God’s glory-part of fulfilling being made in the image of God. Getting all the possessions we want or the education we want or the job we want or the cars or clothes or houses is not our ultimate goal/purpose in life.

We are supposed to reflect God’s glory and to enjoy a relationship with him. Savor our relationship with God like a favorite food or drink.

The Magnificent is Jesus Christ the one and only one who is worthy to be called, the Magnificent one.

He alone is worthy of our praise, our honor, our life, our complete devotion. Are we doing that?

Are we giving our life completely over to the Magnificent One?

2 comments:

Allison said...

LUV the song! Must go and download it! Loved the blog a/b Mother's Day. I know Cyd loved every minute of it :)

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•