Friday, April 3, 2009

Who Defines Your Self-Worth?


I have worked with students in some capacity for the last 13 years and I have found one theme that surfaces in their lives over and over again, self-worth. Self-image and self-esteem impact the guys and the girls, the younger students and the older students. No one is immune. I have also found that this area of concern both for students and the ones that care for and work with them has multiplied exponentially. A recent statistic I came across said that 84% of TV sitcoms have sexual content in them. The growing trend of students asking for plastic surgery for their graduation present or even earlier, the support of parents to provide "safe" environments for alcohol and sex in their homes is alarming to me. The media and the culture in which teenagers find themselves immersed in are sending strong messages about who and what defines their self-worth. Body image issues, diet and exercise issues, popularity issues all strike at the core of a person's self-worth. And yet, I can't help but be reminded about what scripture teaches "All of us are what you made us," says Isaiah. David says, "You formed me in my mother's womb... Body and soul, I am marvelously made." Paul says, "We are God's workmanship, his masterpiece." John reminds us that the Father has lavished us with his love. The challenge for students and adults alike, is to see themselves as God sees them, and to allow God's view of us to define our self-worth NOT the media and culture around us. Like great pieces of art by Van Gogh, Picasso, and others God has made each of us unique and perfect in our own right, for he is the artist that defines our self-worth.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Pags, this is awesome. I totally agree. I am appalled by what I see on TV nowadays. And the shows that kids are allowed to watch makes me so sad! I pray for you & Cyd as you raise those two precious little girls!