Saturday, July 26, 2008

St. Louis Journal 1

Colossians 3:12-14

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

I read this passage one morning while on our St. Louis Mission Trip and it struck me in a unique way. God taught me a lot about myself on that trip. He reminded me that deep down I am a sinner still in need of a savior. I want to share with you some thoughts I jotted down that morning as I reflected on these verses. Like the beach journal entries they are unedited and raw.

"Vs. 12: We are God's chosen people because we have been adopted into his family, into his Kingdom. So Paul tells us to put on these Godly characteristics of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience...all things that we need this week.

Vs. 13: Bear with each other. Put up with each other's crap and be willing to forgive each other remembering that God in Christ has forgiven us of every stupid sin we have committed. Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to do but it is essential to life as a believer.

Vs.14: Over all these virtues put on love which binds them together. Elsewhere the Bible says love covers a multitude of sins. That's why God reached down and saved us. That's why as we live together as a community of faith we are called to love each other. I say I love you a lot to people, not to abuse the phrase or make it hollow but because I want people to know that even when I am selfish, stupid, and sin against them that ultimately I love them! For me, that cancels out everything else, unfortunately it doesn't always flesh itself out that way. I hate to be harsh because I don't want people to think I don't love them. Love is the greatest thing in the world, a glimpse into the heart of God, so let us genuinely love each other."

No comments: