Monday, October 24, 2011

Voices in your Head

Wilco, the alternative band with deep roots in alt-country and folk music released a new album almost a month ago that I have been listening to lately. The variety of musical styles are amazing (ranging from Neil Young ala Harvest to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon). The song Dawned on Me has really captured my mind lyrically and musically.

I've been taken 
By the sound 
Of my own voice
The voices in my head

It seems to me that the temptation for ministers is to allow the voices in our head to overtake the voice of the Holy Spirit that is calling for a life of humble submission to Christ. Unfortunately the voices in my head don't tend to be very humble or willing to submit themselves to Christ. Some of the reading I have been doing lately has reminded me that I need to listen to the voice of Abba rather than the voices in my head. The voices in my head may be my own voice, one of pride and arrogance or it may be accolades from others, approval and acceptance from others...regardless it is so easy to subtly give the "voices" more influence than the Spirit.



No comments: