Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Unfashionable


A friend, Allison, recommended a book to me a while back by her pastor. Tullian Tchividjian is the grandson of Billy and Ruth Graham and now the pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church. He has a new book that was just released but the one I read is entitled Unfashionable. The thesis of the book is that we as Christians are called to be different as we live for God in this world so that we can make a difference by being different. Tullian's writing reminds me of a the preaching style of many Aftrican-American ministers. What I mean is that they have one point they are trying to communicate and they hit their audience with it from different points of view. The book does just that by bringing the reader back to the main point in every chapter in some way.

Like some of the other books that I have read lately it is filled with a challenging call of radical obedience to living out a God infused life! A life that is so full of Christ that it influences everything we do, think, or say. The subtitle is: "Making a difference in the world by being different." That has been my passion for as long as I can remember (no comments please) and it is exactly what I challenged my students to do any chance I get.

A great book! Thanks for the recommendation Allison!

1 comment:

Allison said...

you are welcome, friend! I'm glad you enjoyed it! He has 2 other books. When I remember what they're entitled, I'll pass them along, too :D