Saturday, June 13, 2009

Early Morning Routine

So Claire has this thing about getting up early most mornings, that is unless we have to actually be somewhere early in the morning like church or school. She has been up since shortly after 6 AM today. She came to the edge of our bed ready to conquer the world! She and I got out of bed for her to color and watch a movie. Her early morning routine on days like today reminds me of my desire to spend time with the Lord each morning as part of my routine. It's so important isn't it to spend some time listening and talking to God at the start or each day as we try to live out our faith for others to see.

Perhaps it is true that just like someone who has to have their morning coffee or the day just doesn't go smoothly; we need our morning dose of our Heavenly Father in order to make it throughout the day. Many of the great saints of yesterday are noted for their diligence of rising early and spending time with God to start each day. The great American Puritan, Jonathan Edwards, would get up at like 4:30 AM to spend time in prayer, scripture reading, and writing before breakfast each day. I must admit that most days my eyes only see one thing at 4:30, the back of my eyelids, but I am continually being challenged to seek the Lord early, in the quiet, the peace, the calmness. Claire is a living example of getting up and being excited and passionate about whatever is on her mind, be that PBS Kids, coloring, movies, or breakfast.

If you will excuse me...I'm going to go make some coffee!

No comments: