Sunday, March 29, 2020

Lent 2020 Day 33

Scripture Reading
Matthew 13:44-46; 6:33

Have you ever wanted something so badly that you were willing to give up anything in order to get it? I believe we have all at one time or another used our bargaining powers to get what we want. "You don't have to buy me anything else all year, if I can have this jacket." "I promise these are the only shoes I will ever need." "If I can have a car you don't have to buy me anymore Christmas or birthday presents!" I can vividly remember searching my room to try to figure out what I could sell in order to make money to buy whatever it was that week I just had to have. I was willing to give up everything to get what I saw as something more valuable. But what about eternal things, am I as passionate about them as I am materialistic things? What do we value? What are we willing to do to gain eternal riches? 

The characters in this parable went to drastic measures to keep what they found to be the most valuable thing they had. For both it involved giving all they had to keep what was more valuable. Jesus is not asking us to sell all of our material items to show our love for him, but he is asking us to give up our own desires and let God's desires be ours. We have to give all of ourselves to God. He does not want bits and parts. He wants all of us! He wants to be in control of who our friends are, what career we choose, what we wear, what we eat, where we go...there is not one part of our life that God does not want us to hand over to him. Are we willing to do that? Have you ever been irritated with someone for doing something "halfway?" They did the job, but by the skin of their teeth. This is bothersome with everyday things like school projects, cleaning rooms, running errands. Why would we let these things bother us; yet, we approach our faith in the same manner. Our spiritual life and relationship with God is the most valuable part of our existence, but we approach God "halfway." Seek him first and everything else will fall into place. It seems too simple doesn't it? God's grace is unbelievable sometimes. We give him our lives and he does everything else. 

Prayer: Let the words of a song by Keith Green be your prayer today. "Make my life a prayer to you you. I wanna do what you want me to. No empty words and no white lies, no token prayers, no compromise." Amen.

No comments: