Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baseball

I have never been a skilled baseball player, nothing much has changed. I'm not even a fanatic, keeping up with a favorite team and player anymore. Still baseball was a bonding point for me with both of my parents. My cousin, Mike Pagliarulo played pro ball first for the Yankees then for a few other teams. Last night, holding my son, I watched a PBS special on Fenway Park. There is a strong connection for me there. My mother's family is from Boston, and I have been privileged to see two games at Fenway. One was a Red Sox v. Yankee game in the 1980s when my cousin was playing. It truly is an incredible experience to go to that historic park. It was a moment, holding 2 of my kids in which there was this deep connection to my roots (my family, my relationship with my dad and my mom, and experiences with students) that came into a unique perspective, something as simple as baseball that transcends time, geography, and any number of things to build a strong family connection for future generations.

No comments: