Thursday, December 30, 2010

Why I Will Never Be That Guy

We are at Xtreme Winter with a group of middle school students and based on what I always see when I come to big events like this, I am always reminded of who I am and who(what) I am not.

I am a normal disciple of Christ trying to love people and show them the grand story of life found in the gospel. I am not the "cool, trendy, hip generational minister" who tries to act younger than he really is. Let me give you a few reasons why I am NOT that guy and Lord willing never will be...

1. I don't own a Member's Only jacket (anymore).
2. I don't wear scarf's tied around my neck like a girl.
3. I don't talk like I am stoned when I am preaching. (Ro-ads scene from Black Sheep)
4. I don't own a v-neck shirt that I would wear except as an undershirt.
5. I don't want to own a pair of skinny jeans, the very thought is frightening.
6. I don' have any hair, which sadly means I can't straighten it or wear it hanging in one eye like a wispy eye patch.
7. I don't have a short, catchy last name.
8. I don't have a Mac, I don't even have a decent iPod.
9. I don't drink froo-froo coffee drinks, at least not often. In fact, the older I get the more I prefer my coffee black.
10. I wear worn out ball caps, not $20 hats from American Eagle.
11. I need multiple sets of earplugs for Christian concerts.
12. I don't put much stock into emotionally induced altar calls.

Well, at least I can take comfort in knowing that most transformation in ministry takes place in the routine and ordinariness of life. Thanks be to God that the Holy Spirit is bigger than me or the trendy speaker guy I will never become.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't have a short, catchy last name."

Sure you do. What about Pags?

DC

josh said...

mmm... tony in skinny jeans and a v-neck sipping a caramel soy latte... that image introduces the world to the word "vomituitous."

Allison Stroud said...

Is that what youth ministers are trying to do these days?? I'm so glad you know who you are in Christ and don't have to try to be something you're not like apparently these other youth mins do!! Thanks for that post, though...I had to chuckle out loud a few times imagining what it would be like if you DID try to act like those types of youth mins!! LOL!

Tony Pagliarullo said...

Dave, I guess that would count...Josh, I think you hit the nail on the head...Allison, glad you got a good laugh out of it, it was rather fun to write too.