Friday, August 27, 2010

Preachers I Follow....

I am teaching at class this term at Guido Bible Institute in Metter, GA on Church History. I was asked last week by one of the students who are some of the preachers I follow or listen to podcasts of...I paused for a second and rattled off one or two that I've listened to before, at least one of their sermons, but truthfully I don't listen to a lot of other preachers for a couple of reasons:
1. We have an old iPod shuffle so to put a podcast on it is hard to find and it takes up all the space that my music needs.
2. The CD player in my car doesn't work so that's not an option.
3. I could listen in my office more, but usually I am doing things that require more attention and focus so I can't listen too intently.

Truthfully, my favorite preachers to listen to and or read from aren't ones that most of the people I interact with would appreciate for different reasons, but here are a few:
1. Frederick Buechner: I haven't heard him preach, but his books (mostly collections of sermons) are among my favorites in my library.
2. Barbara Brown Taylor: Amazing, but since she is a woman most people look at me like I'm crazy when I cite her as one of my favorite preachers.
3. Calvin Miller: My preaching professor in seminary, truly a gifted artisan when it comes to the craft of preaching.
4. Walter B. Shurden: I actually haven't heard Buddy preach too many times, but I receive his preaching journal e-newsletter that is insightful and thought provoking for anyone doing a lot of teaching and preaching.
5. Cyd Pagliarullo: She is by far my favorite preacher to listen to...truth be told (I have said this before) she is the better preacher and teacher in the family. Passionate and insightful with a keen ability to speak right to the heart!

Truthfully, the "preachers" I listen to the most are gifted singers/songwriters who have an uncanny ability to dissect the human heart and shed the light of the gospel or the need for the light of the gospel in our fallen world. I love the lines from a Bill Mallonee song that seem to capture my sentiments about my favorite preachers,

today's djs on the radio say
you gotta buy this one it's a must
but the tunes that were old and beat up and wise
well they're the ones that I learned to trust
the ones all full of liars and lovers
robbers and murders and thieves
the ones all full of saints and sinners
a lot like you and me



Some of my favorite "preachers" include:
Bill Mallonee
Mark Heard
Bob Dylan
Johnny Cash
The Allman Brothers Band
Drive By Truckers
Dave Matthews Band
Patti Griffin
Indigo Girls
Nancy Griffith
James Taylor
Harrod and Funck
Waylon Jennings
and many more

No comments: