Monday, April 12, 2010

14 Years...only Just the Beginning

Today is April 12! That may not mean a lot to most people but to me it's the day that my life changed forever. 14 years ago a godly, beautiful young woman finally relented to my pleas to date me. It is still hard for me to believe that she said yes! Since that day I have often told people that Cyd saying yes to me was just another sign of God's grace and mercy. She has always been my greatest supporter, my wisest counselor, my harshest critic (when I need a reality check, especially when I slip and think that I have really done something great through preaching and teaching) she reminds me that it is not me but the Holy Spirit working in and through me. Words can hardly express how much she means to me. Next month we celebrate 10 years of marriage...10 wonderful years of marriage! I wish I could say that every moment of the last 14 years has been sheer bliss, but that's just not reality. We have had difficult days and moments, yet through it all God has strengthened our relationship and reminded me of His goodness and grace revealed through Christ Jesus.

Bill Mallonee has a line that says, "Ten years gone and a few songs". That line has always owned me for a couple of reasons. Mallonee's songs have always given me hope and courage for my journey, often describing my own thoughts about faith and life, especially my life with Cyd and our two girls. At the same time, some of the things that Mallonee said and stood for in terms of his first marriage fell apart several years ago now, which was a reminder to me that no one, not even myself is immune to temptation and sin, yet by the grace of God my marriage and my family have been protected for ten years now. There are things in my family history that for lack of a nicer description are "demons" particularly my parents' divorce. In many ways it has shaped me to be the person I am for better or worse. Ten years was how long they made it before the wheels fell off and so ten years has always been important to me at least subconsciously. I saw all of that to say that lately God has given me a renewed passion for life together with Cyd! I guess you might say I have been able to conquer some demons in my own life. With that victory, I am more than ready to walk through the next 63 (the number of years my grandparents were married) years hand in hand with Cyd, believing and trusting for the best years ahead! That seems really hard to believe, because the last 14 have been incredible! To think that life can be better than it has with her seems almost too good to be true.

I know that my life is better because of Cyd! I know that I am a better Christ follower, husband, father, and friend because of Cyd. In fact, I can't imagine what life would be like without her. Darlin' thanks for the journey so far, can't wait to see what the next 14 years holds for us!

"I wanna grow old with YOU!"

OTTID

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow! What a great testament!! My parents anniversary is on the 12th...so that's a pretty special day all around :)