Monday, February 22, 2010

Several thoughts are running through my mind as I try to write this...like, I need to finish getting ready for Bible Study, I need to finish cleaning the house (We are trying to sell our house to move out to live close to Cyd's mother), I also have things to do to finish up the after-shock of a kicking Winter Retreat last week, and the list could go on for a few blog posts, but I won't bore you or me with that right now. It goes without saying that life is incredibly busy for us right now. That's not necessarily a bad thing, usually I am more productive if I am busy rather than having a lot of free time on my hands. The rub for me lately has been when and perhaps how do I actually live when I'm so busy with life. I am reading a book by Barbara Brown Taylor, one of my favorite preachers, in it she writes, "When do people actually live their lives, given all the other things they have to do" (Home By Another Way 7). If I had to put my finger on it, I would say that this is my mantra lately.

Don't get me wrong, I have been able to relish in some wonderful moments with my savior and my family lately too! Like getting to see Bill Mallonee with Cyd over the Valentine's weekend while it snowed in Savannah. Spending some time with my 3 girls the last few days after an amazing Winter Retreat that saw God do some cool things in the lives of the students and adults who went. Burning trash and hopefully getting ready to plow and plant the garden (I know we are late, the last two months have been busy). When I read that line from Barbara Brown Taylor I completely agreed with her statement, since then God has gently prodded me so that I recalled his grace filled moments of life that are in the rare morning cup of coffee shared with my beautiful wife, the memories of a loved one gone too soon, the embrace of a snotty-nosed child, the sound of rain hitting the roof, the hymn that won't stop playing in my head, the sermon that sparked something in me that had nothing really to do with the sermon, which shows you how God can use our human efforts to touch lives even if it wasn't our intended mark. So much more could be said about God's gentle patience with me the last several weeks however, only one is worth repeating...GRACE!

No comments: