Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Red Letter Christians

I promise this will be the last politically connected post I make for a while. I saw a book review a month or so ago about Tony Campolo's Red Letter Christians. I knew I had to check it out. Campolo is a voice that I love to hear speak about anything because of his wisdom and perspective on things. I also have an affinity for his thoughts because it was after hearing him preach at a Youth Evangelism Conference in Atlanta that I became a Christian. Campolo is about as evangelical and conservative as one could find theological with very progressive ideas about politics and society. Red Letter Christians challenges the reader to take to heart the explicit teachings of Christ to inform one's views of politics and citizenship. In many ways, Campolo simply challenges the reader to view politics through the lenses of an informed, biblically robust faith and not just a knee-jerk reaction to different issues. Prayer is essential for Red Letter Christians to make wise decisions about the political arena of America. There were a few times when Campolo didn't try to hide or at least soften his own bias, but overall he gets people to prayerfully reconsider why they hold the particular view they do and whether or not it is rooted in historic Christian orthodoxy. There were times I found myself readily agreeing with him and other times when I thought, "that's not very well researched and supported." The contents of the book are timely and time sensitive at the same time. A worthy reading for any Christian who wants their faith to govern their politics.

1 comment:

Red Letter Believers said...

Campolo has some theological problems.

Jesus didnt just speak out for poverty and social issues. He also spoke out against sin and preached hell to the lost.

Check us out
www.redletterbelievers.com