Sunday, October 12, 2008

Deacon Ordination

Tonight we ordained two new deacons at FBC Statesboro. Dwayne Rocker and David Lavender are two Godly men who model the Christian life for people of all generations. I couldn't help but think of my own ordination service and the people who came to the front to kneel with me and encourage me. I can still remember some of those sweet prayers. I vividly remember some of my friends from high school and college who taught me so much about faith and life. The interesting thing to me is that those people, many of whom I haven't seen since that day, have a stake in my ministry today, this week. I believe this is part of what Hebrews means when it talks about the great cloud of witnesses.

There were many faces that I was thrilled to see that February day...two stand out...Sonny and Dana Stroud. They are the parents of a friend from high school, Allison, but Sonny was also the music minister when I was a teenager. There's one prayer that stands out in my mind, Melinda, Cyd's roomate from college. She leaned over and said, "I just wanted to come touch your bald head." I got to do Melinda's wedding this past May. It truly is amazing how people's lives intersect and overlap.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Thanks for the memories :)