Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Shack

I recently finished The Shack. It seems that everyone else around was reading it, so I decided to (but only after someone gave me a copy) I tend to stay away from books that everyone else is reading until well after the popularity has waned. I must confess it wasn't that great to me. The story line was intriguing but as far as literary quality, lacking. I do think that the book offers what I look for in books, an author that is willing to stretch their own faith for the sake of his or her audience. I measure books by how much they make me stretch my faith, by how much they make me question my own life and heart, not to cast doubt but so that my faith can be strengthened. Young accomplished that with his human portrayal of the Trinity! The promise of hope and grace was what I most took away from the book. The danger of The Shack is reading it as non-fiction or theology rather than a work of fiction. People have responded to this book the same way people responded the Left Behind Series, love it or hate it. If you have the time The Shack is worth a look, just remember that it's not theology, but like a good sermon it points to the reason for theology.

No comments: