Monday, December 10, 2007

The Car Wash

Since it is unseasonably warm here in the Boro this week I decided to wash our cars on Saturday. This is quite an extraordinary feat since, my car hasn't been washed since we moved here 18 months ago. As I was washing Cyd's car I was having to scrap some tar off that has been on there for a long time. No matter how hard I scrubbed I couldn't get the tar off. I finally had to pick away at most of it using my fingernails, which wasn't very pleasant. Even after scraping the raised, dried tar off the side of the car there was a black stain that wouldn't come off either. It made me think about how our sin is like that tar. We try and try to scrub off our sin and the stain that it leaves on our lives, but no matter how much elbow-grease we us we can't get rid of our sin. The only way for the tar in our lives to be removed is for complete cleansing that comes only through the person and work of Christ. It is His death that scrapes the tar off our hearts and removes the stain so that we can live in a relationship with God. I'm so grateful for God's work in my life to remove the tar/sin.

No comments: