Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Lent 2020 Day 43

Scripture Reading
Matthew 26:14-25

Have you ever betrayed someone? Betrayal...even the word evokes horrible images. Betrayal can take the form of unfaithfulness to a spouse or love one, lying or telling partial truth. It can take many different forms. Have you ever spoken cruelly about someone behind their back or have you chosen to not stand up for someone who is the punch line of an ugly joke? Have you ever broken a promise to a friend or family member? I am guilty of all these things. We are quick to cast stones at Judas. Obviously, with good reason, he betrayed Christ into the hands of those who would crucify him. Judas was a part of God's plan for the world's redemption. I have to ask myself, in what ways am I like Judas? What in my life, in words, in heart and in actions, is betraying my devotion and love for God? What am I willing to "sell" my relationship with God in exchange for something else? There is always something that competes for our loyalty to Christ. Somehow we always find ourselves in situations where we are having to choose to stand out and be different for the sake of our beliefs verses betraying our commitment to Christ and his commandments. Even within the church walls, in fellowship with other believers we are tempted to betray Christ. Gossip, slander, judgmental attitudes, hatred, and selfishness disguise themselves in "I shouldn't say this, but..." I have often wondered if Judas really thought thirty pieces of silver was worth it. I also wonder if my few seconds of a laugh at another's expense is worth the pain it causes my Lord. Instead of standing firm, Judas cracked. He fell to temptation and followed his own desires. Forever, in history he is remembered for his heinous sin. What do we want to be remembered for? For the way we stood boldly for Christ or do we want to be remembered for our betrayals to others and towards God. The other apostles and many early Christians had many opportunities to disown Christ. However, they are examples of the ultimate sacrifice. Many were martyrs for their faith. For the sake of the gospel, Paul was killed by a sword to the neck. Peter was crucified (upside down according to tradition). Matthew was speared to death. Andrew was crucified. Mark was burned. Bartholomew was beaten, crucified, skinned, and beheaded. What is your relationship with Christ? Are you willing to betray him and replace him with silver or some other worldly possession or glory? Judas, as scripture writes, came to a point of guilt and shame for his actions. Are we repentant of our lack of boldness as sin? This Easter, I challenge each of us to stand boldly for Christ and live out the example of Christians that sacrificed everything for Christ and remind ourselves that to betray our God only leads to destruction. 

Prayer: Father, thank you for your forgiveness and tenderness. I ask you to forgive me of the many times I have turned my back on you and selfishly believed that something the world offered was more important than you. I pray that I would learn to stand boldly and be a witness for the gospel. Amen. 


No comments: