Thursday, August 9, 2018

College Students Welcomed

This is the first fall in seven years that I anticipate the advent of the fall semester and the influx of students into our little community without serving as a college minister. It's a bit odd in some ways, but I am reminded that as a pastor of a local congregation I get to love and encourage people in all the various stages of life. The transition from college minister to pastor has been one of the highlights of my ministry. I am blessed to serve a congregation that has college students and loves college students. In fact, we are hosting them for worship and lunch on August 19. My time as a college minister taught me a great deal about life and ministry. I think the greatest lesson is that the college campus is our Athens of the Apostle Paul's day. The campus is the center of learning, discourse, and dialogue in our culture. It is also the greatest mission field anywhere in the world. Students come from all over the world to Statesboro to get an education. As believers we have the opportunity to share the gospel with college students. We have the privilege of discipling them in the faith entrusted to the saints. Consider this, when international students return to their homeland, they could be taking the gospel back with them. The life-changing story of Jesus and his life and death...the hope of the gospel.

What about college students who stay in Statesboro after they graduate? Well as churches and campus ministries reach and equip these students we are investing in the next generation of church leaders. The next generation of Sunday school teachers, small group leaders, deacons, worship team leaders, ushers, prayer team members, youth volunteers are all at our finger tips? Will we do the hard work of loving them, praying for them, and discipling them? These are the people who in 10 years will be leading churches all over Bulloch county to reach the next wave of students that come make Statesboro and the colleges and universities here home for 4, 5, or 6 years.

What about college students who leave Statesboro after they finally graduate? Well, consider this, the conversations about Jesus you have with those students will shape who they are and what they become. They may leave here and become missionaries or pastors or ministers who carry the truth of Christianity forward for the next 50 years. They too are ones who will return to their hometown or relocate and invest in local churches and look back over their shoulders at the influence that a follower of Jesus made on them while they nested in the Boro.

I remember well the influence of men and women who I encountered as a college student. Folks who loved me, prayed for me, fed me, encouraged me, taught me, and modeled for me what it means to follow Jesus. People like David and Gina, Lindsey and Robin, Paul and Connie, Colin and Mary, Chuck and Ellen, Mark and Julie, Rick, Scott, Gordon, Joe, and Buddy. It's been over 20 years since I stepped foot on the campus of Mercer University, yet the people who were trying to follow Jesus and let me glimpse that in some way still cross my mind and heart and lips (as I pray for them). What student will remember you and me in 20 years?

So residents of Statesboro, be prepared for the deluge of students about to rain down on our fair city. Don't just curse their big city driving habits and the fact that you won't be able to find anything you need in Walmart for the next 3 weeks. Don't grumble about the crowds at all the restaurants. Greet the incoming and returning students with a warm smile, a kind word, and an invitation to join you in following Jesus.

Join me in praying for God to move in incredible ways on the campuses of our colleges and universities this fall!


No comments: