Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Defining Evangelical

http://rachelheldevans.com/evangelical-means-to-me

I would tend to agree with much of what Rachel Held Evans says here about what the label "evangelical" means and doesn't mean. While I identify with this label for myself, I don't broadcast that to people outside of evangelicalism because the larger world seems to have a misconception about evangelicals. They believe that we are all narrow minded, Republican voting, gay-bashing, CCM listening people drinking cafe mocha's (but not in Starbucks because they support gay marriage) with our John MacArthur Study Bible opened to Romans 9-11. That certainly doesn't characterize me...for the record I don't have a problem with CCM, Republicans (I am one), John MacArthur or Starbucks for that matter.

No comments: